Operations Manager: Date Farming
Our client is a Namibian company with the objective to produce, grow and pack high-value dates for the international market. Their business operations are located on the banks of the Orange River that demarcates the border between South Africa and Namibia. The closest town is Ariamsvlei and Upington is a two-hour drive from the farm. They are currently looking for a suitably qualified, experienced, and energetic individual to appoint as their Farming Operations Manager.
The Farming Operations Manager is expected to remain informed of agricultural science and innovation to mitigate risk, implement innovative practices and build a sustainable business that maximizes the return on investment.
The Operational Manager’s overall responsibility will include:
- Strategic vision, planning & implementation
- Profit and loss for the Farming Division
- Managing a team of managers, supervisors, administrators, and staff
- Manage a labour broking workforce
- Oversee management of all fruit production, packhouse and maintenance
- Irrigation management
- Packhouse relationships (logistics, communication, quality control and reporting)
- Conservation and biosphere protection
- Manage the full production value chain
- Compile a 5-year budget and forecast
- Prepare workforce plans and schedules
- Actively implement and manage risk appropriately (winds, heat waves, drought, water retention etc.)
- Manage key supply relationships (materials, sprays, assets, etc.)
- Implementing, training and upliftment programs for all levels of staff
- Implement regenerative farming practices across the farm
- Build a work culture that prides itself on fair, equitable and uplifting employee practices in order to become a leading employer of choice
- Maintaining and managing maintenance and capex budget for fleet and equipment with the team
- Ensuring alignment and quality of the marketing and sale of products produced on the farm
- Ensuring all staff adhere to health and safety regulations – creating a safe work environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture or equivalent
- 10+ years’ experience in large scale commercial farming particularly focused on date production
- Additional courses in Business Management or Administration are recommended
- Proven experience in managing a large team
- A passion for sustainable practices is advantageous
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills
- The ability to make decisions in a stressful environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to build sound business relationships
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
Please ensure that your application includes the following:
- a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae, inclusive of contact and email information
- a covering letter motivating the application
- an indication of current and expected remuneration
- contactable referees
If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, please accept that your application was not successful. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing date for applications: 13 August 2021
By submitting your information and application you hereby confirm:
- That you give us permission to retain your personal information in our database for future matching to employment opportunities.
- Should suitable opportunities arise we will contact you and request your consent to submit your CV to a specific client for a specific purpose.
- That the information you have provided to us is true, correct and up to date.